Serging machines are incredibly useful stitching tools. Also known as overlockers, these machines are a must have for anyone who is into advanced stitching. Today, we will start off by viewing the best serger with coverstitch capabilities. After that, we will take an in depth look at the cover stitch machine reviews and what they can do. After going through our guide, you will have a far better understanding of sergers and coverstiching. This will help you make a better buying decision.
Let’s jump right into the reviews.
When you are talking about coverstitch machines, one of the more respectable brands happens to be Juki. They have been releasing some fine machines. Today, we are shedding light on the Juki MCS-1500. It is one of the best serger. What is so good about it? Let’s find out.
One thing that makes this coverstitch serger machine so desirable is portability. It is by far one of the most portable machines I have used. Additionally, the machine comes with a high presser. Which works great for a thicker fabric. Moreover, the differentiation of feed can be adjusted. If you are someone who prefers cleanliness. The good news is that this machine does not skip on stitches, either.
The only downside that I can think of is that the threading needs some practice. However, you can master it easily.
Overall, the Juki MCS-1500 is a great option. Whether you are a beginner or a veteran, this should be a great option.
- The machine offers great portability.
- The high presser foot is great for thicker fabrics.
- The differential feed can easily be adjusted.
- You will not be skipping any stitches with this machine.
- Mastering the thread line could take some time.
Contenders For The Best Serger With Coverstitch in 2020
Janome is among the leading manufacturers when it comes to sewing machines. They have been producing some of the finest options. Today, we are looking at the Coverpro 1000CPX. This coverstitch serger machine is one of the higher-end machines available in the market. Therefore, if you are looking for something that is top-notch, this is for you. Let’s explore this machine and see how it is.
The Coverpro 1000CPX comes with colour-coded threaded system. Which makes it such a great option. Not just that, it also offers you a proper stitch guide. Which means that threading is going to be a very great experience. If you have been wondering, this serger machine has been raved about fans and critics alike. However, the most impressive thing about this machine is the stitching speed. The Coverpro 1000CPX is capable of a 1,000 stitches per minute. Which is impressive, to say the least.
On the contrary, there is not a lot to hate about it. However, the machine is limited to specific needles. Namely, the Schmetz ELx705 (size 12), this limits the overall usability for some people. Additionally, you do not get an automatic threader or a tension adjuster.
- Excellent stitching speed.
- Colour coded threading system.
- Stitch guider.
- Uses specific Schmetz ELx705 (size 12) needles.
I do not think Jamone as a brand needs an introduction. We have talked about the 1000CPX before. However, if you do not want to go for that sewing machine, we have another option that is the Janome CPX 900. This again is a pretty good option for anyone in the market. How good is it you say? Let’s find out.
The one thing that sets this machine apart is the fact that it is fast. Capable of delivering 1,000 stitches in a minute. These stitches are also very precise, so you do not have to stress. The results are exceptional. So much so that they can rival some of the more professional machines with ease. The work area on this machine is also impressive. Providing you with 4 inches by 5 inches of area to work with. You are also getting a seam tightening system. Which allows you to have less slack in the looper thread.
With so many good things aside. The machine has a limitation, too. For instance, this model only allows for straight or cover stitches.
- Great stitching speed.
- Ample work area.
- Seam designer works great.
- Stitch limitation.
Moving further, we have an impressive option from a company called Consew. They are renowned when it comes to sewing machines. Having manufactured some great options that are available in the market. The one that we are looking at is the Consew Model 14TU2345. It is available in a variety of different options too.
Now there are a lot of good things about this machine. Aside from being affordable. If you are looking for something that allows easy threading. This is the one that you should be investing in. Additionally, the free arm is a great feature too. Allowing you to use the machine with great ease.
However, with an affordable price tag, there are a few quirks. For starters, it is a noisy one when operating. Not just that, it also vibrates. The latter one can be taken care of, though.
Overall, the Consew Model 14TU2345 is a pretty great option for those on a budget.
- Offers the best value for money.
- The machine is extremely easy to thread.
- The free arm is great for functional approach.
- The noise levels can get to you.
- The machine vibrates.
The last sewing machine on our list is from Bernette. Another one of the more renowned names in the market. Bernette’s Funlock 44 is a pretty sweet machine for beginners. Those who are looking for something convenient and trouble-free can buy this machine. What’s so great about it? Let’s look at it.
Now, I think the major selling point of this machine is that it is user friendly. It is easy to learn, making it perfect for beginners. The colour-coded threading is just a cherry on top. It allows people to learn sewing with ease. Another great thing is, of course, the amazing price. It is one of the more affordable options available in the market.
As for the limitations, there are a few. For instance, the working space is fairly limited. Moreover, the machine does not come with a lot of features.
Overall, the Bernette Funlock 44 is a great option for those who are on a limited budget. But they still want something that is fairly solid.
- Extremely affordable.
- Colour coded threading option.
- Great for beginners.
- Doesn’t have advanced features.
- The working area could be small for many.
Serger machines have been around for quite some time. They are incredibly useful when it comes to stitching work of any kind. Over the years, these machines have undergone plenty of improvements. Nowadays, you can find serger machines with self threading capabilities. These machines get rid of what was easily the biggest setback of owning a cover stitch machine. Whether you’re a professional with a large sewing setup or someone who sews for their hobby. A serger will be a valuable addition to your setup? Why exactly? To answer this question, you need to understand what do sergers do.
What is The Purpose of a Serging Machine?
Serging machines are designed to Deal with “raw” ends of cloth. Whenever you cut a piece of fabric, its edges become susceptible to fraying. Once fabric begins fraying, it eventually begins to fall apart. Traditionally, people hem the ends of fabric in order to prevent fraying. Hemming gets the job done, but it’s a time-consuming task. It also isn’t a really long-lasting sort of solution.
Serging machines provide a more reliable solution to this problem. They fold over the edges of fabric and sew them together. This forms a neat and strong edge. One that won’t fray and also looks good. Serging machines do this at an incredibly fast pace as well.
Serging machines can also be used for stitching seams. Their sewing speed and versatility is a lethal combination.
Now, Serging machines can produce a variety of stitch work. In today’s guide, we’re focusing on sergers that can do cover stitch patterns as well. This leads us to our next question: what is a cover stitch?
What is a Coverstitch?
A cover stitch is a very professional piece of stitch work. It produces an edge that looks pretty attractive. A cover stitch looks like as if it has two rows of stitching on the top and a single row on the bottom.
Advantages of a Cover stitch
- Cover stitches offer more flexibility in a cloth’s hem.
- They make great seams for the same reason as above. The added flexibility makes seams less prone to tearing.
- Coverstitches are great for use on knitted fabric. They produce superb rolled hems on any kind of knitted cloth.
- These kinds of stitches per minute are great for sewing different materials onto the edges of your fabric. They can be used to sew laces and elastics in a neat and secure manner.
Coverstitches are great. They can be used in a number of ways and they always produce a great looking finish. Professional and hobbyists value sergers machines that can do coverstitching. Now, there is a wide variety of such machines out there. You need to look for something that is worth buying. Fortunately, buying a quality cover stitch machine is really easy. You just need to know what you’re buying and why are you buying it.
How to Buy a Quality Serger Machine?
- The first step is to figure out what are your needs and requirements. If you aren’t clear about what do you expect a cover stitch machine to do for you, you will have a hard time picking the right product. An easy way to figure out your needs and requirements is to write them down. Make a list of what your expecting from the machine that you buy.
- After you’re acquainted with your needs, you can set a budget for yourself. Setting a budget is really important. Cover stitch machines have a very wide price range. If you go into the market without a spending limit, you will find yourself lost under a wave of options. Having a defined budget narrows down all the options that are available to you.
- Once you know your budget and your needs, you can begin exploring your options. When you’re looking for a cover stitch machine, you should prioritize versatility. Serger machines are valued for their ability to do multiple things.
- If your budget allows it, then go for a machine with self threading system. Manually looper threading a serger machine can be a hellish task. Self threading can save you from this hassle.
It will make using serger machines easier and also a whole lot faster.
- Other things that you need to look out for include warranties and the overall usability of the machine. Some machines out there are really complicated. Others are designed with ease of use kept in mind. It goes without saying that you should go for the latter.
As long as you have these few things covered, you should find buying a decent serger very easy. And once you get your hands on a good serger, it will keep you happy for a long time.
Serger machines are incredibly versatile devices. They are great when it comes to hemming cloth in a reliable way. Anyone who works with cloth on a frequent basis should consider investing in a serger. It will help you save loads of time and also improve the quality of your hemming by a wide margin.
Some serger machines are capable of producing Coverstitches. This is a highly useful kind of chain stitch that is robust and flexible. It can be great for seaming and for sewing lace onto fabric.
There are loads of serger machines available in the market. So many stitch options can be rather confusing. But if you do a bit of prep work before you head out shopping, you shouldn’t have a hard time finding what you want.