Serging machines are incredibly useful stitching tools. Also known as overlockers, these machines are a must have for anyone who is into advanced stitching. Today, we will start off by viewing some superb serger machines with coverstitch capabilities. After that, we will take an in depth look at the coverstitch machine reviews and what they can do. After going through our guide, you will have a far better understanding of sergers and coverstiching. This will help you make a better buying decision.
Let’s jump right into the reviews.
Top 3 Best Serger With Coverstitch in 2020
- ADVANCED SERGER: The Brother 2340CV Cover Stitch is an advanced serger that allows you to...
- COLORCODED THREADING GUIDE: A builtin colorcoded threading guide helps provide precise...
- SINGER PROFESSIONAL SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER 14T968DC Serger machine has 2-3-4-5 thread...
- SELF-ADJUSTING TENSION: The SINGER 14T968DC Serger has a self-adjusting tension system....
- 2 & 3 Needle Bottom Coverstitch
- Chainstitch Mode
Serger machines have been around for quite some time. They are incredibly useful when it comes to stitching work of any kind. Over the years, these machines have undergone plenty of improvements. Nowadays, you can find serger machines with self threading capabilities. These machines get rid of what was easily the biggest setback of owning a coverstitch machine. Whether you’re a professional with a large sewing setup or someone who sews for their hobby. A serger will be a valuable addition to your setup? Why exactly? To answer this question, you need to understand what do sergers do.
What is The Purpose of a Serging Machine?
Serging machines are designed to Deal with “raw” ends of cloth. Whenever you cut a piece of fabric, its edges become susceptible to fraying. Once fabric begins fraying, it eventually begins to fall apart. Traditionally, people hem the ends of fabric in order to prevent fraying. Hemming gets the job done, but it’s a time-consuming task. It also isn’t a really long-lasting sort of solution.
Serging machines provide a more reliable solution to this problem. They fold over the edges of fabric and sew them together. This forms a neat and strong edge. One that won’t fray and also looks good. Serging machines do this at an incredibly fast pace as well.
Serging machines can also be used for stitching seams. Their speed and versatility is a lethal combination.
Now, Serging machines can produce a variety of stitch work. In today’s guide, we’re focusing on sergers that can do coverstitch patterns as well. This leads us to our next question: what is a coverstitch?
What is a Coverstitch?
A coverstitch is a very professional piece of stitch work. It produces an edge that looks pretty attractive. A coverstitch looks like as if it has two rows of stitching on the top and a single row on the bottom.
Advantages of a Coverstitch
- Coverstitches offer more flexibility in a cloth’s hem.
- They make great seams for the same reason as above. The added flexibility makes seams less prone to tearing.
- Coverstitches are great for use on knitted fabric. They produce superb hems on any kind of knitted cloth.
- These kinds of stitches per minute are great for sewing different materials onto the edges of your fabric. They can be used to sew laces and elastics in a neat and secure manner.
Coverstitches are great. They can be used in a number of ways and they always produce a great looking finish. Professional and hobbyists value sergers machines that can do coverstitching. Now, there is a wide variety of such machines out there. You need to look for something that is worth buying. Fortunately, buying a quality coverstitch machine is really easy. You just need to know what you’re buying and why are you buying it.
How to Buy a Quality Serger Machine?
- The first step is to figure out what are your needs and requirements. If you aren’t clear about what do you expect a coverstitch machine to do for you, you will have a hard time picking the right product. An easy way to figure out your needs and requirements is to write them down. Make a list of what your expecting from the machine that you buy.
- After you’re acquainted with your needs, you can set a budget for yourself. Setting a budget is really important. Coverstitch machines have a very wide price range. If you go into the market without a spending limit, you will find yourself lost under a wave of options. Having a defined budget narrows down all the options that are available to you.
- Once you know your budget and your needs, you can begin exploring your options. When you’re looking for a coverstitch machine, you should prioritize versatility. Serger machines are valued for their ability to do multiple things.
- If your budget allows it, then go for a machine with self threading. Manually looper threading a serger machine can be a hellish task. Self threading can save you from this hassle.
It will make using serger machines easier and also a whole lot faster.
- Other things that you need to look out for include warranties and the overall usability of the machine. Some machines out there are really complicated. Others are designed with ease of use kept in mind. It goes without saying that you should go for the latter.
As long as you have these few things covered, you should find buying a decent serger very easy. And once you get your hands on a good serger, it will keep you happy for a long time.
Serger machines are incredibly versatile devices. They are great when it comes to hemming cloth in a reliable way. Anyone who works with cloth on a frequent basis should consider investing in a serger. It will help you save loads of time and also improve the quality of your hemming by a wide margin.
Some serger machines are capable of producing Coverstitches. This is a highly useful kind of chain stitch that is robust and flexible. It can be great for seaming and for sewing lace onto fabric.
There are loads of serger machines available in the market. So many stitch options can be rather confusing. But if you do a bit of prep work before you head out shopping, you shouldn’t have a hard time finding what you want.